*Tanning Tips* Going Up On A Tuesday
If you struggle with fair, sensitive skin like Emily & I do, lying out in the sun to get a natural tan is nearly impossible! We either burn or peel or we don’t get a tan at all! I have to take very cautious measures to assure that my skin does not burn in the sun, and sometimes laying out feels pointless. My sister and I have turned to sunless tanning to get that nice healthy glow without having to lie out in the sun or in tanning beds! Although Mace still swears by Vitamin D and a more "natural" tan, Emily and I have been spray tanning for four years now and are completely converted! I like to think I am a professional spray tanner now! So, let me fill you in on a few tips on how to achieve the best sunless tan possible without any streaking, nasty smell, or orange coloring. Emily and I first started off sunless tanning at Body Heat using the Versa Spa. The Versa Spa sprays you 4 times all together; front, back, and then both sides. Unfortunately, Em & I always looked a little orange & splotchy using the Versa Spa and the tan didn’t last very long. Personally, I would NOT recommend it. Body Heat also offers the Norvell sunless tan, but only at their Summerlin location, which is luckily close to where I live in Vegas. Em & I had better luck with the Norvell. We liked the color much better and it sprays you multiple times in the front and back, rather than just a few. It also didn’t get as splotchy but the tan still did not last as long as we would have liked. My go-to spray tan place now is Nikki Bee Airbrush Tanning! The great thing about tanning with Nikki Bee is that there is NO contract! You can go whenever you want and pay for just a one-time tan! (For people who only get a spray tan for special occasions this is perfect.) Her prices are also very reasonable & she is always available! Nikki Bee gives you a custom Airbrush Tan; The color solution she uses is absolutely amazing! It is not orange at all; it has a beautiful bronze glow to it! Her tan is also totally organic, is has no smell and does not leave you feeling sticky and gross all day. There is no one else I will ever let spray tan me ever again! But, there are always a few helpful tips to be aware of for the best results when you do spray tan regardless of where you go:
- Make sure you exfoliate the day of your spray tan to get any dead skin off first in order to get an even tan.
- Shave your legs the day before your spray tan. Not the day of your spray tan. Shave as little as possible with your spray tan on, for shaving is a form of exfoliation & can remove your tan from those areas.
- Wear baggy dark clothes when you get a spray tan, you don’t want your tight clothes sticking to you after and ruining your tan or your tan rubbing up against a loose white shirt and ruining the shirt!
- Do not wear a bra for a few hours after your spray tan for obvious reasons.
- Wear flip-flops, if you wear closed toed shoes you could ruin the tan on your feet.
- Make sure to wear a hair cap while spray tanning; you don’t want the product to get in your hair.
- Right before you are sprayed in a booth, be sure to use the blocking lotion on areas like your hands, elbows, and knees.
- After you are sprayed, dab any areas that the spray tan is unwanted off with a damp washcloth. I usually like to dab underneath my armpits so the area doesn’t get super dark and sometimes even my wrists.
- I like to wait an hour before washing my hands.
- If you are going out with a fresh spray tan, I like to apply my make-up before. The spray tan actually sets your makeup nicely and you won't have to worry about washing it off too soon in order to get ready for the night.
- That being said, make sure to wait a few hours for your tan to set in before you put on any tight clothes.
- If you find any areas that are splotchy, just dab that area a little bit and smooth it out with a damp washcloth.
- I like to keep my spray tan on overnight, but some people will keep it on for 6-8 hours and wash it off. I recommend sleeping with it & showering in the morning. It helps my tan last longer.
- When showering for the first time especially, try to make the shower quick if you want your tan to last longer.
- When done in the shower either pat dry your skin or air dry to make your tan last longer. Rubbing will smear the bronze color off!
- When areas start to fade I suggest using a tanning lotion to extend your sunless tan.
- I like to use the L’Oreal Paris Sublime Glow tanning lotion. I hate Jergen’s because it leaves me feeling orange. The L’Oreal Sublime glow is bronze and has a nice shimmer in the lotion leaving you with a nice glow.
I am pretty good at achieving a flawless spray tan now. Trust me, it took me years to get it down. I also owe a lot of it to Nikki Bee Airbrush Tanning! I hope these tips help! If you have any more questions on spray tanning feel free to comment & I can answer any questions! If you live in Vegas and want the best sunless tan go visit my girl Nikki Bee! Below are my before & after pictures of my most recent tan! Hope you all enjoy!